CARMEL, Ind. – The 2019-20 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) women's basketball season is well underway, with Transylvania University receiving national recognition, ranked No. 11 in the latest Women's Basketball Coaches Associate (WBCA) top 25, and No. 16 in D3Hoops.com Top 25 poll.
Around the League:
Athlete of the Week:
Ashton Woodard (Mt. Sterling, Ky.) Transylvania University | Guard | Senior - The senior guard led the No. 11 Pioneers to a 2-0 week in nonconference play by leading the team in scoring in both games with the majority of her points coming in clutch situations in both games. Woodard had a game-high 17 points on 6-for-14 shooting and came one rebound short of a double-double in Wednesday's 65-57 win at Berea College. Woodard finished the game with 17 points, nine rebounds, five assists, one steal, and one block in 39 minutes of play. 10 of Woodard's 17 points came in the fourth quarter as the Pioneers pulled away for victory. Woodard provided a game-high 20 points on 8-for-17 shooting from the field and hit three, three-pointers in a 59-56 comeback victory at Wittenberg on Saturday. Woodard led a charge for the Pioneers, erasing a 14-point second-half deficit and outscoring the Tigers 17-4 in the final quarter to win by three. Woodard's runner with 30 seconds left served as the game-winning basket for the Pioneers. Woodard's total line on Saturday included a game-high 20 points, a co-team high seven rebounds, and a co-team high four assists. For the week, Woodard had 37 points, 16 rebounds, nine assists, one steal, one block on 45 percent shooting from the field (14-31 FG).
- Brianna Gillig (New Riegel, Ohio) Bluffton University | Forward | Sophomore - Gillig dropped in a career-high 25 points in Bluffton's 87-85 OT victory at Oberlin on Saturday afternoon, a win that kept Bluffton's record spotless at 3-0 on the year. She added three rebounds and three steals at Oberlin.
- Taylor Day (West Mansfield, Ohio) Defiance College | Guard | Sophomore - In Defiance's only game last week, Day had game highs of 20 points and four steals to go along with eight rebounds and two assists in a three-point loss. She scored 20 of the Yellow Jackets' 53 points, shooting 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from the field, including 50.0 percent (2-of-4) from three-point range and 66.7 percent (2-of-3) at the free throw line.
- Bayleigh Walker (Plainfield, Ind.) Franklin College | Forward | Junior – Walker was named to the all-tournament team at the Fred Raizk Memorial Tournament after averaging 16 points and five boards as Franklin went 1-1 at the event. She scored the game-winning buzzer-beater on Friday night against Wilmington, capping a comeback that saw Franklin trail by eight with three minutes left in the game.
- Alexis Nall (Mount Vernon, Ind.) Hanover College | Forward | Senior - Nall finished the week averaging a double-double scoring a game-high 20 points with 13 rebounds in the team's contest with Spalding. The senior also led both teams with four steals while shooting 63 percent from the floor.
- Haley Farrus (Sharpsville, Ind.) Manchester University | Guard | Senior - Senior guard Haley Farris stuffed the statsheet in MU's 60-48 win at Kalamazoo on Friday Nov. 22. She went 4-of-5 from the field, scored nine points, grabbed six rebounds, dished out four assists and came up with three steals.